Geralyn R. Timler, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Director, Speech-Language Pathology (M.S.)
Residential (On-Campus) Program
- Office: HBS 1008
- Phone: 540-568-3541
- Email: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
- M.S. University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- B. A. University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Research and Teaching Areas
Areas of research interest:
- Identification of social (pragmatic) communication disorders in children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, autism spectrum disorder, fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and language impairment
- Development of outcome measures for social communication interventions
Areas of Teaching:
- School-Age Language and Literacy Disorders (CSD 640)
- Language Development (CSD 300)
- Phonological & Language Disorders (CSD 314)
- Reading and Research (CSD 680)
- Thesis Research (CSD 700)
- Doctoral Dissertation in CSD (CSD 920)
Current and Ongoing Research Projects
- Examination of conversation and narrative language sampling protocols for description of pragmatic language and social communication difficulties
- Examination of parent and student self-report measures of social communication
*Denotes Student Collaborator from Timler Lab
- Timler, G. & *Moss, D. (2021). Social Communication Disorder. In L. Cummings (Ed.) Pragmatic Language Disorders: Complex and Underserved Populations (pp. 25-44), Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-74985-9
- Timler, G. & *Covey, M. (2021). Pragmatic language and social communication tests for students aged 8-18 years: A review of test accuracy. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 6 (1), 18-38. https://doi.org/10.1044/2020_PERSP-20-00172
- Amin, S., Smith, T., & Timler, G. (2019). Developmental influence of unconjugated hyperbilirubinemia and neurobehavioral disorders. Pediatric Research, 85, 191-197. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41390-018-0216-4
- Timler, G. (2018). Using language sample analysis to assess pragmatic skills in school-age children and adolescents. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 3 (1), 23-35. https://doi.org/10.1044/persp3.SIG1.23
- Timler, G. (2018). Let’s talk: Review of conversation intervention approaches for school-aged children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder. Seminars in Speech and Language, 39, 158-165. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0038-1628367
- Timler, G. (2018). Similar but very different: Determining when a child has social communication disorder versus autism spectrum disorder. ASHA Leader, 23(4), 56-61. https://doi.org/10.1044/leader.FTR2.23042018.56
- Ash, A., Redmond, S., Timler, G., & Kean, J. (2017). The Influence of scale structure and sex on parental reports of children’s social (pragmatic) communication symptoms. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics, 31(4), 293-312. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02699206.2016.1257655
Recent Conference Presentations
*Denotes Student Collaborator from Timler Lab
- Timler, G. (2021). Disorders of higher language function. The Spectrum of Developmental Disabilities, XLIII: Language Gateway to Neurodevelopmental Disabilities. John Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD.
- Timler, G. (2020). Best Practices Best Practices for Social Communication Assessment and Intervention. Invited keynote speaker for School District #63 in Sydney, British Columbia.
- Timler, G. (2019). Examination of Two Language Sampling Protocols for Identification of Pragmatic Language Disorders. Poster session presented at the 2019 American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention, Orlando, FL.
- *Moss, D., & Timler, G. (2019). Morpho-Syntactic Production in Bahamian English-Speaking Children: What We Know and What We Don’t Know. Poster session presented at the 2019 American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention, Orlando, FL.
- *Lenhart, M., Pavelko, S., Freeman, L. & Timler, G. (2019) Syntax Interventions for Students Who Struggle with Literacy: A Systematic Review. Poster session to be presented at the Symposium for Research in Child Language Disorders in Madison, WI.
- Moss, D., Timler, G., & Colvin, B. (2019) Examination of Morpho-Syntactic Production in Bahamian Creole English-Speaking Children. Poster session to be presented at the Symposium for Research in Child Language Disorders in Madison, WI.
- Timler, G. (2019). Getting the Most out of Language Sampling. Live Two-hour Webinar. Invited presentation for the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
- Timler, G. (2019). Best Practices for Social Communication Assessment and Intervention. Invited speaker for Alaska Speech, Language, and Hearing Association conference in Anchorage, AK.
- Associate Editor/Editor, Language Section, Journal of Speech-Language-Hearing Research (2016-2018)
- Coordinator Special Interest Group 1, Language Learning and Education (2015-2017)
- Editorial Board, Topics in Language Disorders (2015-present)