M.S. in SLP (online)

Speech-Language Pathology Program (Online)- General Program FAQs

Expand All | Close All

Is the program accredited?

Yes, the JMU MS SLP programs received reaccreditation through June 30, 2026 from the Council on Academic Accreditation of ASHA. Program requirements are consistent for certification in speech-language pathology by the Council for Clinical Certification (CFCC) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and for health and education licensures in speech-language pathology by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Our graduates are successful in securing licensure beyond Virginia. Since licensure requirements can vary by state, applicants are strongly advised to review their state’s requirements prior to application. Refer to https://www.asha.org/advocacy/state/.

Can you accept international students?

International Graduate Information

International applicants will upload a credential evaluation of their non-U.S. college or university transcripts from one of the services listed at this link: Credential Evaluation

Applicants who reside outside of the U.S. must meet the requirements of the program and the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) for certification, including supervision of all clinical experiences by an ASHA-certified speech-language pathologist.

Can you accept students from all states in the U.S.?

Students may not complete placements in a state that is not a participating member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) or in a state where JMU is not authorized. Please visit http://nc-sara.org/ and http://www.jmu.edu/online/state-authorization/student-policies/index.shtml for more information.

What kind of financial aid is available?

In general, graduate assistantships through the University are only available to full-time students. Part-time, online students are eligible to apply for financial assistance. Please contact the JMU Financial Aid Office at fin_aid@jmu.edu or 540.568.7820, or visit their website at http://www.jmu.edu/financialaid/index.shtml for information regarding tuition and fees.

Will I have to quit my job?

There are on-campus requirements as well as minimum requirements for clinical practicum. A majority of our students must alter their work schedules to complete the practica requirements.

Is the program 100% online, or are there on-campus requirements?

There will be a mandatory on-campus orientation for new students immediately prior to the start of summer courses.

All students must participate in their first clinical practicum on campus, supervised by a JMU clinical educator. This clinical placement occurs during the summer following the first year of academic coursework. The summer practicum is typically full-time for six consecutive weeks and successful completion is mandatory in order to progress in the program. All other clinical placements are arranged near your geographical location.

Does the program follow the JMU Schedule? What about the practica?

The classes follow the JMU academic calendar, which is available from the Office of the Registrar’s website, http://www.jmu.edu/registrar/. Each clinical practicum is a semester-long and may differ from the academic calendar.

What is the cost of tuition for the program?

Please contact the JMU Business Office at ubo@jmu.edu or 540.568.6505, or visit their website at http://www.jmu.edu/ubo/ for information regarding tuition and fees.

What support is offered after graduation?

All students are supported by the program and their advisor from acceptance through graduation. The program will monitor student progress and will assist students in planning for post-graduation requirements such as applying for licensure and ASHA certification. The program does not provide job placement assistance, but will share job postings with graduating students as they become available.

Where are students employed after graduation?

Our graduates have obtained employment throughout the United States in public and private schools, hospitals, private practice, rehabilitation centers, skilled nursing facilities, early intervention centers, and many other community agencies serving individuals with communication and swallowing difficulties.