Prerequisites for Admission to Speech Pathology Program (Online)
All prerequisite coursework MUST be completed prior to beginning the graduate program.
The following core CSD pre-requisite courses must be completed, with a grade of C or better. The required pre-requisites include:
- Language Development - The study of language acquisition, development, structure and function in normal children. The development of language in all cultures and the universal nature of the developmental process is the foundation for continued study in speech-language hearing
- Anatomy & Physiology of Ear and Voice - A detailed study of the anatomy and physiology of the speech mechanism.
- Phonetics - Instruction in various transcription techniques for phonetic and phonemic analysis of speech production.
- Introduction to Audiology - An introduction to the symptoms, causes and treatment of hearing disorders. Hearing test instrumentation and interpretation in clinical situations are emphasized.
- Acoustics of Hearing and Speech - Introduction to acoustics of speech and hearing. Introduction to physical acoustics, sound generation and transmission, resonance, speech acoustics, and speech perception.
* Note: JMU does not offer pre-requisite coursework.
Basic Science Requirements
Students are also required to complete a course in Statistics, Physics OR Chemistry, Biological Science, and Behavioral/Social Science, prior to the completion of the master’s degree program, for consideration of certification in speech-language pathology. It is strongly recommended that you complete the basic science coursework, with a minimum grade of C, prior to enrollment in the program.
See http://www.asha.org/Certification/Course-Content-Areas-for-SLP-Standards/ for more information.
The Online MS Speech Pathology program has a competitive admissions process.
- Applicants are required to have minimum GPA of 3.25 in the major.
- There is no minimum GRE score, although successful applicants generally score above the 50th percentile.
- Applicants are required to successfully complete prerequisite coursework prior to admission.
- It is strongly recommended that applicants complete basic science requirements prior to enrollment.
- Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to attend one of the Virtual Open Houses for more information.
Due to the number of inquiries receive, the JMU Online Speech Pathology program is not able to offer advising prior to offers of admission.
Part-time/online students are not eligible for assistantship funding through the CSD Department.
For questions regarding the CSD program, please email email@example.com. For questions regarding the admissions process, please contact JMU Graduate School or CSDCAS (https://help.liaisonedu.com/CSDCAS_Applicant_Help_Center), as appropriate.
More questions? See our Pre-Requisite FAQs