M.S. in SLP (on campus)

Admission to the Speech-Language Pathology Program (Residential)

Application Process

The application will open on October 1 and the deadline is February 1. Questions about the program and open houses should be directed to slp@jmu.edu

The application is a TWO-PART process:

Part 1

  • All applicants must apply to and be admitted to the JMU Graduate School. An application to the graduate school is completed online: https://www.applyweb.com/apply/jmug/index.html. You must submit:
    • Application
    • Application fee
  • Applicants do NOT need to submit letters of recommendations with the Graduate School application.
  • Applicants do NOT need to submit transcripts with the Graduate School application. If you are admitted to the CSD program, you will need to send original transcripts to the JMU Graduate School prior to beginning classes.
  • Applicants do NOT need to submit GRE scores with the Graduate School application.

Part 2

  • All applicants must also apply to the CSD Program through the Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application System (CSDCAS) at https://portal.csdcas.org/.
  • Complete all aspects of the CSDCAS application including:
    • Written response to an essay prompt. See prompt instructions in the CSDCAS application.
    • Official GRE scores, be sure to use DI Code 1043
    • Official transcripts
    • Names and contact information for two references (letters of recommendation are not required). If you are applying for other programs through CSDCAS, contact information for the two reference letters will be automatically included in your JMU CSDCAS application. No further action is necessary.

Applications to both the Graduate School and CSDCAS must be submitted by February 1. You must have a status of Verification (green) in CSDCAS in order to be considered for admission. The Graduate School and CSDCAS forward only completed applications to the CSD program for review. For an application to be considered by the CSD program, the Graduate School and CSDCAS applications must be received by the CSD Program by February 1.

When application decisions are completed by the CSD faculty, the Graduate School (TGS) will send you an email notification with a link to your “Applicant Status Page” where you may view your admission decision. If you have problems accessing your applicant status page, please contact tgs@jmu.edu. Questions about the program and open houses should be directed to slp@jmu.edu

Pre-requisite Coursework

  • CSD 207 - Phonetics
  • CSD 208 - Anatomy & Physiology of the Ear & Voice Mechanism
  • CSD 209 - Acoustics of Speech and Hearing
  • CSD 300 - Language Development
  • CSD 301 - Introduction to Audiology

The Council for Clinical Certification (CFCC) of the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA), the SLP credentialing organization, requires that you have all of the following coursework: one biological science, one physical science (chemistry or physics), one statistics course and one social science.

Students who have not successfully completed a course in Aural Rehabilitation (graduate or undergraduate level), will be expected to complete the coursework in order to meet competencies.

GPA and GRE Information

The Speech-Language Pathology program is a competitive admissions process. There is a minimum major and overall GPA of 3.25 required for application. There is no minimum GRE score, although successful applicants generally score above the 50th percentile. Information on the GRE is available at the official web site of Educational Testing Service.

This program meets the educational requirements for licensure or certification in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Please refer to the JMU Professional Licensure Program Status by Jurisdiction Index to determine if this JMU program meets the educational requirements specified by the associated licensing or certification agency in the state or territory in which you are located while enrolled. You can also determine if the program meets the educational requirements specified by the licensing boards in other states and territories. Requirements vary by state and are subject to change. The information provided is current as of the review date indicated in the table.