Voice and Swallowing Services
The Voice & Swallowing Services clinic, a collaboration between JMU and Sentara RMH, is a specialty clinic offering state-of-the-art clinical services and engaging in innovative research for patients with voice, speech, swallowing and vocal fold movement disorders secondary to a variety of disorders including reflux, stroke, neurological disorders, head injury, and head and neck cancer.
Conditions that we treat:
- Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
- Hoarseness and other voice problems associated with:
- Vocal nodules, cysts, polyps
- Vocal fold paralysis
- Vocal fold cancer
- Vocal fold papilloma
- Spasmodic dysphonia
- Muscle tension dysphonia
- Voice abuse/misuse
- Vocal cord dysfunction/ Paradoxical vocal fold motion
- Chronic cough and/or chronic throat clearing
- Speech and language difficulty stemming from Parkinson’s disease, stroke, or other progressive diseases
Procedures and treatments we provide:
- Flexible endoscopic examination of swallowing (FEES)
- Also with sensory testing (FEESST)
- Modified barium swallow
- Laryngeal stroboscopy
- Botox injections to the vocal cords (with ENT)
- Aerodynamic and acoustic voice examination
- New methods for home management of swallowing disorders
- Treatment for voice disorders
- Management of vocal fold movement disorders and irritable larynx.
A physician referral is required for services. All services will be provided in the Voice & Swallowing Services located in the Outpatient Treatment Center at Sentara RMH Medical Center. Patients may be scheduled by calling the Sentara RMH Central Scheduling at 689-6000. Please ask to speak with the Voice & Swallowing Services concierge scheduler.
Direct calls to the Voice and Swallow Service clinic can be directed to 540-689-1711. Please leave a voicemail and we will return your call as soon as possible.
Most insurances cover these services; however, patients will need to check with their insurance provider.
For additional information, please visit http://www.rmhonline.com/Main/Voice-and-Swallowing-Services.aspx