Geralyn R. Timler, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Director, Speech-Language Pathology (M.S.)
- Office: HBS 1008
- Phone: 540-568-3541
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
- M.S. University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- B. A. University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Research and Teaching Areas
Areas of research interest:
- Identification of social (pragmatic) communication disorders in preschoolers & school-age students with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, autism spectrum disorder, fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and language impairment
- Development of outcome measures for social communication interventions
Areas of Teaching:
- Advanced Study of Phonological Disorders (CSD 623)
- Advanced Study of Children’s Language Disorders (CSD 640)
- Language Development (CSD 300)
- Phonological & Language Disorders (CSD 314)
Current and Ongoing Research Projects
- Validation of a language sampling protocol for description of pragmatic language difficulties
- Development of a self-report measure of conversation participation
*Denotes Student Collaborator from Timler Lab
- Amin, S., Smith, T., & Timler, G. (2018). Developmental influence of unconjugated hyperbilirubinemia and neurobehavioral disorders. Pediatric Research, doi: 10.1038/s41390-018-0216-4
- Timler, G. (2018). Using language sample analysis to assess pragmatic skills in school-age children and adolescents. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 3 (1), 23-35.
- Timler, G. (2018). Let’s talk: Review of conversation intervention approaches for school-aged children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder. Seminars in Speech and Language, 39, 158-165. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0038-1628367
- Timler, G. (2018). Similar but very different: Determining when a child has social communication disorder versus autism spectrum disorder. ASHA Leader, 23(4), 56-61.
- Timler, G. (2017). Social Communication Disorder. In A. E. Wenzel (Ed.) SAGE Encyclopedia of Abnormal and Clinical Psychology
- Ash, A., Redmond, S., Timler, G., & Kean, J. (2016). The Influence of scale structure and sex on parental reports of children’s social (pragmatic) communication symptoms. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics, doi: 10.1080/02699206.2016.1257655
Recent National and International Conference Presentations
*Denotes Student Collaborator from Timler Lab
- Lenhart, M., Pavelko, S., Freeman, L. & Timler, G. (2019) Syntax Interventions for Students Who Struggle with Literacy: A Systematic Review. Poster session to be presented at the Symposium for Research in Child Language Disorders in Madison, WI.
- Moss, D., Timler, G., & Colvin, B. (2019) Examination of Morpho-Syntactic Production in Bahamian Creole English-Speaking Children. Poster session to be presented at the Symposium for Research in Child Language Disorders in Madison, WI.
- Timler, G. (2019). Getting the Most out of Language Sampling. Live Two-hour Webinar. Invited presentation for the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
- Timler, G. (2017). Social (Pragmatic) Communication Disorder S(P)CD: Update on Best Practices for Assessment and Intervention. Invited presentation for the ASHA Connect Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Timler, G. (2017). Pragmatic Skills Rating Scale for Conversation Samples (PSRS-CS): Examination of Reliability and Validity. Poster session presented at the American-Speech-Language Hearing Association convention, Los Angeles, CA.
- Timler, G. (2017). Social (Pragmatic) Communication Disorder: Implications for SLPs. Seminar presented at the Speech-Language-Hearing Association of Virginia, Richmond, VA.
- *White, K., & Timler, G. (2016). Agreement Among Parent Ratings of Children's Pragmatic Language & Social Skills. Poster session presented at the American-Speech-Language-Hearing Association convention, Philadelphia, PA and the Symposium on Research in Child Language Disorders, Madison, WI.
- *Alano, M., Timler, G., & *Behm, E. (2016). Evidence-Based Review of Norm-Referenced Language Tests for Identification of Social (Pragmatic) Communication Disorder. Poster session presented at the American-Speech-Language-Hearing Association convention, Philadelphia, PA.
- *Ollier, M.,*Pozniak, G., *Prokop, R., *Williams, L., Coen-Cummings, M. & Timler, G. (2016). Language Outcomes Following Intervention in Children With (Central) Auditory Processing Disorders: A Systematic Review. Poster session presented at the American-Speech-Language-Hearing Association convention, Philadelphia, PA.
- Associate Editor/Editor, Language Section, Journal of Speech-Language-Hearing Research (2016-2018)
- Coordinator Special Interest Group 1, Language Learning and Education (2015-2017)
- Editorial Board, Topics in Language Disorders (2015-present)