Marsha Longerbeam, Ph. D., M.S., CCC-SLP
- Office: HBS 1078
- Phone: 540-568-3389
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. James Madison University
- M.S. James Madison University
Research and Teaching Areas
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Early Intervention
- Augmentative Alternative Communication
- Interprofessional Education
- Clinical Education
- Sensory Integration Disorders
- Behavior Intervention and Management
Current and Ongoing Research Projects
- Impact of Sensory Integration intervention on vocal/verbal output of children with autism
- Impact of Sensory Integration intervention on communicative attempts of children with autism
- Merged Autism treatment approaches from three different disciplines: Occupational Therapy; Applied Behavior Analysis; Speech/Language Pathology.
- Student Perceptions of the Value of Participation in an Inter-professional Autism Clinic
National and International Conference Presentations
- Powell, M. & Reed, V. A. (2010 June). Facilitating Autistic Children’s Communication with Brief Exposures to Sensory Stimulation (SS). Presentation at the 13th Symposium of the International Clinical Phonetics and Linguistics Association, Oslo, Norway.
- Powell, M., Reed, V. A., Sigafoos, J., Scott, A., & Ouellette, K. (2012 June). Documenting Treatment Fidelity in Research Examining the Contribution of Sensory Stimulation to the Effectiveness of Speech-Language Intervention for Autistic Children. Presentation at the 14th Symposium of the International Clinical Phonetics and Linguistics Association, Cork, Ireland.
- Longerbeam, M., Reed, V.A., Scott, A. (June 2014). Effect of Raters’ Clinical Experience in Measuring Treatment Fidelity in Research Investigating Efficacy of Autism Intervention: A Pilot. Presentation at the Symposium for Research in Child Language Disorders, Madison, Wisconsin.
- Simons, E., White, H., Longerbeam, M. & Stokes, T.F. (2014, May). Merge of Behavior Analysis Procedures into a Speech-Language Pathology Autism Clinic Poster presented at the 40th annual convention of the Association for Behavior Analysis International, Chicago, IL.
- Developing merged multidisciplinary treatment protocols at an inter-professional autism clinic( 2014 May). Simons, E., Cannady, M., Faller, A., Tiry, A., White, H., Vetter, J., Richardson, E., Longerbeam, M., Stokes, T. Poster: 2014 ABAI Annual Convention: Chicago, IL; May 23-27, 2014, at McCormick Place in Chicago, Illinois.
- Dudding, Odonoghue, Longerbeam (April 2015). A Virtual Interprofessional Clinic. Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders Conference, Newport Beach, Long Beach, California.
- Clinard, E., Ingram, S., Dudding, C., & Longerbeam, M. (2016 November). Best practice in integrating computer-based simulation in a graduate SLP program. Presentation at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention; Philadelphia, PA.
- Clinard, E., Ingram, S., Longerbeam, M., Dudding, C., & Houlbrooke, A. (2017 November). Simulations & transfer of learning. Presentation at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Conference; Los Angeles, CA.
- Longerbeam, M. & Sigafoos, J. (2018). Language and Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. In V. Reed (Ed). An Introduction to Children with Language Disorders, 5th Ed. New Jersey: Pearson.
- White, H., Stokes, T., Simons, E., Longerbeam, M., Richardson, E., & Zinn, T. (in press). Interprofessional practice for simultaneous implementation of merged techniques from three disciplines: OT SLP ABA. Journal of Interprofessional Education & Practice.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles