Lincoln Gray, Ph.D.
- Office: HBS 1018
- Phone: 540-568-8154
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing Address:
235 Martin Luther King Jr Way
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
Ph.D. Michigan State University
- Neuroanatomy and Neurogenic Communication Disorders, annually for undergraduates.
- Research in Communication Sciences, annually for Au.D. students.
- Strategies for Making Sense of Complex and Variable Data, Advanced Seminar in CSD, in a rotation of courses for Ph.D. students.
- Supervision of Au.D. and Ph.D. dissertations.
- Development of Hearing in Mice and Quail
- Auditory Processing in Children with ADHD and Dyslexia
- Emergence of stereo hearing in surgical patients given a newly functional ear
- Mathematical models of spreading diseases and our attempts to prevent that spread
- Psychophysical scaling methods in educational evaluation
Research Web Pages
- C(SD)2 Lab -- Computational, Speech, Sensory, Development, & Diseases Laboratory
- Mathematical models of disease explained at http://www.csd.jmu.edu/csdsquared/
- http://csdsquared.cs.jmu.edu/ to participate in research.
- http://www.uth.tmc.edu/oto/lab (previous, still active) Art of Observation, demonstrations of peer-review and perceptions of tongue lesions
- Two archived features about research at James Madison University.
Current and Ongoing Research Projects:
- Effects of genetic differences in mice on hearing and vocalizations
- Effects of early conductive hearing loss on human stereo hearing
- Effects of early trauma, toxins, and nutrition on hearing
- Effects of distracting background sounds, especially on subjects with attention deficits.
- Peer review, learning to observe and to listen, and standardized patient exams in graduate education
- Interactive visualizations of when and where oral and breast cancers recur, how both pandemics and our attempts to protect the Homeland ‘spread’.
Publications (last five years)
- Schick, K., Hunter, C., Gray, L., and Poe, N. Writing in Action: Scholarly Writing Groups and Faculty Development, Journal on Centers for Teaching and Learning (in press)
- Gray, L. Making Sense of Messy Data through Constructed Cartography of Functional Distances. In Kovacic, S (ed). Solving Wicked Problems. Springer, in press.
- Gray, L. Chapters on Auditory and Vestibular Systems for On-line Neuroscience Text: http://nba.uth.tmc.edu/neuroscience/ 2007-present.
- Gray. L., McCabe, J. Bernstein D. Constructed Charts of Vaccination Strategies. Health Informatics Journal 16 (1): 25-34, 2010.Gray, L., Kesser, B., and Cole, E. Detection of Speech in Noise after Correction of Congenital Unilateral Aural Atresia: Effects of age in the emergence of binaural squelch but not in use of head-shadow. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 73: 1281–1287, 2009.
- Morton, R.P., Gray, L., Tandon, D.A., Izzard, M., McIvor, M.P., Efficacy of Neck Dissection: Are Surgical Volumes Important? Laryngoscope. 119(6): 1147-1152, 2009.
- Noftsinger, J., Newbold, K., Gray, L. Delp, B. 2008. An Innovative Approach to Studying Migration: Applying Functional Mapping to Examine Global Migration Trends. Forum on Public Policy. http://forumonpublicpolicy.com/archivesum07/noftsinger.pdf.
Cooper, P.M.; Capo K.; Mathes B; Gray, L. One Authentic Early Literacy Practice and Three Standardized Tests: Can a Storytelling Curriculum Measure Up? Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education, 28(3): 251 – 275, 2007. (runner-up for best paper of the year in this journal)
- Barreto, E.D. Morris, B.H., Philbin, M.K., Gray, L.C., Lasky, R.E. Do Former Preterm Infants Remember and Respond to Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Noise? Early Human Development 82(11):703-7, 2006.
- Philbin, M.K, Hilton, J.C, Gray, L. The Effects of the Acoustic Environment of the NICU on Infants and Adults. eNeonatal Review, 2006 6:3.
- Lurie, D.I, Brooks, D.M., Gray, L. The Effect of Lead on the Avian Auditory Brainstem. Neurotoxicology. 27: 108-17, 2006.
Hilton, J.C. Gray, L. Infusing evidence-based practice into university clinical training programs. Report on Emotional Behavioral Disorders in Youth 6(4): 75-93, 2006.
National and International Conference Presentations (last five years)
- Gray L, Evans S, Miller B. Measuring and ameliorating auditory impulsivity in children with ADHD. Invited Presentation to 12th Asia-Oceania Otolaryngology Congress, Auckland, NZ 2011.
- Gray L, Kesser B, Cole E. Understanding speech in noise after surgery for congenital unilateral aural atresia. Invited Presentation to 12th Asia-Oceania Otolaryngology Congress, Auckland, NZ 2011.
- Gray L, Miller S, Evans S, Training children with ADHD to become less impulsive in a central masking threshold task. Association for Research in Otolaryngology, 2011.
- Belzner K, Gray L, Dhar S, Ryals B. DPOAE generation source analysis in adult Japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica). Association for Research in Otolaryngology, 2011.
- Kesser B, Gray L, Hildebrand D. Acoustic reflexes in aural atresia patients: An intact efferent system? Combined Triologic Association, 2011.
- Gray L. Auditory distractibility and attention deficit disorders. Invited Grand Rounds, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Maryland, March 2010.
- Morton, RM Gray L et al.. Neck Dissection: A 'Volume-Sensitive' Procedure. 63rd Annual General and Scientific Meeting of the New Zealand Society of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, March 2010.
- Gray, L. Constituents before continua after corrected unilateral hearing loss. Invited presentation to Hearing Research Group. Boston University/MIT 2009.
- Gray. L. Vulnerable listeners are abnormally distracted by unpredictable backgrounds and details. 2 hour Keynote Presentation. 39th MidSouth Conference on Communication Disorders, Memphis, TN, 2009.
- Belzner,K.A., Ryals, B.M., & Gray, L.C. (2009). Sources of variability in DPOAE in normal adult Coturnix quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica) [Abstract]. American Auditory Society. Scottsdale, AZ.
- Gaven, J., Lickliter, R., and Gray, L. Bobwhite Hatchlings as Subjects for Developmental Psychoacoustics. International Neuropsychological Society, 2009
- Belzner, K, Ryals, B and Gray L Changes in DPOAE and ABR Responses following hair cell regeneration American Auditory Society Bulletin, 33(1)17 2008.
- Gray, L., McCabe, J., Bernstein, D. Functional mapping of disease mitigation strategies. Solving Wicked Problems, Managing and Engineering Complex Situations (MECS) 2007 Conference
- Noftsinger, J., Newbold, K., Gray, L. Deltp, B. An Innovative Approach to Studying Migration: Applying Functional Mapping to Examine Global Migration Trends. Oxford Roundtable (UK) 2007.
- Shih, L., Kodali, S., Darby, E., Nettimi, T., & Gray, L. Cancer Metastasis Prediction for Effective Blocking via Back-propagation. International Symposium on Bio-Medical Informatics and Cybernetics (BMIC), 2007.
- Belzner, K. Seal, B.C., Nussbaum, D, Scott, S. Waddy-Smith, B, & Gray, L. Sign Movements Predict Consonant Acquisition in Young Children with Implants, ASHA 2007.
- Seal, B. Nussbaum, D. Scott, S. Waddy-Smith, B. Belzner, K. Gray, L. Trajectories Of Spoken And Sign Language Development In Implanted Children From Total Communication Programs, 11th International Conference on Cochlear Implants in Children, 2007
- Skubicz, K. C., Seal, B. C., & Gray, L. Short-Term Auditory Stimulation through Contralateral Hearing Aid Use in Pediatric Cochlear Implant Users. 11th International Conference on Cochlear Implants in Children, 2007
- Gray, L., & Ryals, B. Antibiotic Injections (Hair-Cell Death and Regeneration) Delay Development of High Frequency Sensitivity and Vocal Behaviors in Hatchling Chicks. Assoc. Res. Otolaryngol, Abstracts, 2007.
- Seal, B. C., Ward, K., Acker, B., Hilton, J. C., Gray, L., & Marler, J. Hand Preference in Communicative Gestures of Young Children With Autism. Amer. Speech-Language and Hearing Assoc. 2006
- Skubicz, K. C., Seal, B. C., & Gray, L. Short-Term Contralateral Hearing Aid Use in Pediatric Cochlear Implant Users. . Amer. Speech-Language and Hearing Assoc. 2006
- Seal, B. C., Belzner, K., Gray, L., Nussbaum, D., & Scott, S. Children with Cochlear Implants: A Goodness-of-Fit Demographic Model. Amer. Speech-Language and Hearing Assoc. 2006
- Philbin, M.K. and Gray, L.: Chautauqua on Sound, 19th Annual Graven Conference on the Physical and Developmental Environment of the High Risk Infant” Human Factors and Research in the NICU, 2006.
- Gray, L: In Unpredictable Listening Conditions Lead-Exposed Chicks Respond Similarly to Children with Attention-Deficit Disorders. Assoc. Res. Otolaryngol, Abstracts, 2006.