Online M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology
Program of Study and Student Requirements
The program's rigorous curriculum addresses disorders across the lifespan. Students are required to participate in online academic coursework, as well as a total of five clinical practica. Students are required to complete a minimum of 375 clinical hours under the supervision of a speech-language pathologist, who is ASHA certified and holds licensure in the state in which they practice.
Students are expected to progress through the program as part of a cohort, following the posted program of study. Note the time requirements for the speech practica.
In addition to CSD program requirements, students in the online program are required to:
- Attend a two-day, face-to-face orientation on JMU’s Harrisonburg campus
- Satisfactorily complete all graduate level coursework as outlined in the program of study with a minimum of 3.0 GPA.
- Participate in a 6 week clinical placement on JMU’s Harrisonburg, VA campus
- Participate in an additional 4 clinical placements under the supervision of a qualified SLP. Clinical placements will require a minimum of 3-4 days per week commitment for each semester long placement.
- Students must be prepared to adjust their paid work schedule to meet the minimum clinical requirements.
- Students, with the assistance of the program, arrange clinical placements in their specific geographical location. Students may not complete placements in a state that is not a participating member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) or in a state where JMU is not authorized. Please visit http://nc-sara.org/ and https://www.jmu.edu/academic-affairs/sara.shtml for more information.
- In addition to the program requirements detailed in the Master’s Student Handbook, students will need to meet the requirements in the Essential Functions Document.